Foundation Legal Help Desk operates through a secure web portal, allowing you to send questions to an on-call attorney. An attorney specialized in the topic area responds to you directly with a written answer or makes arrangements for a phone conversation. Additional details about this service include the following:
- • This service is designed to provide brief answers to questions and is limited to a maximum of one hour on any one question. The attorney will be able to advise the foundation if they need to engage counsel to assist them with a complex legal issue or gift.
- • The attorney will engage directly with foundation staff or board members, and will not work independently with donors or professional advisors.
- • The attorney can review documents but will not prepare any documents.
- • This service is for legal questions that relate to the operation of a foundation, not legal issues facing a foundation’s grantees.
- • Foundation Legal Help Desk reserves the right to decline a request that is clearly beyond the scope of a one-hour engagement.
- • Our goal is to respond within 24 hours (Monday-Friday during the business week); attorneys are not available on an immediate basis.